In order to make the time you spend at the Tri-Cities Family YMCA more enjoyable and rewarding, we invite you to become acquainted with our policies and procedures. Click on the link below to view our entire Member Handbook or review some “need to know” information tabbed to the right.
Code of Conduct
The Tri-Cities Family YMCA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all. To promote safety and comfort, the YMCA asks all persons to act appropriately at all times when in our facilities, on our property or participating in our programs.
We expect persons using the YMCA to act maturely, to behave responsibly, and to respect the rights and dignity of others. The actions listed below, which are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of behaviors, are considered inappropriate and are prohibited in our facilities or programs:
- No electronic devises to be used in locker rooms (cell phones, cameras, etc.)
- Using or possessing alcohol or illegal drugs on YMCA property, in YMCA vehicles or facilities, or at YMCA-sponsored programs
- Smoking on YMCA property – all of our YMCA buildings and grounds are smoke-free environments
- Carrying or concealing a weapon or any device or object that may be used as a weapon
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or any type of menacing behavior
- Physical contact with another person in an angry, aggressive, or threatening way
- Verbally abusive behavior, including profanity, angry language, swearing, name-calling, or shouting
- Sexually explicit conversation or behavior; any sexual contact with another person
- Inappropriate, immodest, or sexually revealing attire
- Theft or behavior that results in this page for of property
- Loitering within facilities or on the grounds of the YMCA after being requested to depart the YMCA’s property
- Use of social networking websites in a manner that is contrary to the YMCA’s mission, is detrimental to the community or is in violation of the law.
In addition, the YMCA reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who has been accused or convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse, is or has been a registered sex offender, has ever been convicted of any offense related to the sale, possession and/or transportation of illegal drugs, or is currently under the influence of illegal or dangerous drugs or chemicals, narcotics, or intoxicating beverages.
Anyone who feels that this Code of Conduct is being violated should immediately report the behavior to a staff person on duty. Suspension or termination of YMCA membership may result from a violation of this Code of Conduct. While an incident is being investigated, the membership of the person(s) accused of violating this Code of Conduct may be temporarily suspended pending a final decision.
To ensure the safety of all members and guests, the Tri-Cities Family YMCA has taken care to enact the following facility use guidelines.
Child and Youth Access
- Ages 2 months to 9 years
- Can use the pool, gym and ACE Place areas with parental supervision.
- Closely supervise your child while in the facility, unless enrolled in a program, class or child care area.
- Supervised child care is available for children ages 3 months – 9 years old (see Child Care for more information).
- Age 10
- May use the facility, as well as the pool, unsupervised as long as they do so in a responsible manner.
- Age 11-12 (7th Grade Membership Initiative)
- Must complete an Equipment Orientation with a parent/adult and pass the Teen Strength Training Test before being allowed inside the cardio and weight room.
- After the parent-child Equipment Orientation, can use the appropriate cardio and machine weights.
- Can participate in non-equipment based fitness classes (yoga & Zumba).
- Age 13-15
- Must complete an Equipment Orientation and pass the Teen Strength Training Test before being allowed inside the cardio and weight room.
- Can use the appropriate cardio and machine weights (w/o parental supervision).
- Can participate in non-equipment based fitness classes (w/o parental supervision).
- Age 16 and up
- Have full facility access including cardio and weight room without going through the Equipment Orientation.
- Can participate in all fitness classes.
Two locker rooms are available for use. The adult locker rooms for individuals 18 and older have access to the whirlpool and sauna. The main locker rooms are for all ages and access the pool area. No electronic devices, including cell phones, are to be used inside the locker rooms. The Y is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items; please secure your items in a locker. A personal lock can be brought in and used on a daily basis. Locks remaining overnight will be removed. Kit lockers are available for a yearly rental fee, stop by or call the Welcome Center for more information.
Proper attire and shoes
Appropriate shirts, shorts and shoes are to be worn in the building at all times. Swimming apparel is required and restricted to the pool area, sauna and whirlpool. Non-marking shoes are to be worn in the gyms, racquetball courts and fitness areas.
Lost and Found
The YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen property. However, we do keep lost and found items whenever possible. Our Lost and Found is located at the Welcome Center. All items found in the YMCA will be kept for at least 30 days before being recycled for charitable purposes.
All cases of accident, injury or unusual incidents should be reported to a staff person on duty or to the front desk. The YMCA assumes no responsibility for injuries incurred while participating in YMCA activities.
All parking lots are the property of and maintained by the City of Grand Haven. Parking is provided in the lighted lot east of the YMCA. Additional parking is available by the Mulligan’s Hollow picnic area and on the basketball courts during the winter. The parking lot to the west, behind the building, is reserved for handicapped parking and staff.
Smoking and Alcohol Use
YMCA facilities and grounds are smoke-free, drug-free and alcohol-free environments.
Parties and Facility Rentals
The YMCA facilities are available for birthday parties. Facility rental is based on availability and must be booked two weeks in advance. We offer a variety of Birthday Party packages that can be booked by both members and non members. Click here for more information.
Inclement Weather Policy
The YMCA makes every effort possible to keep the Y and its programs running during periods of inclement weather. Closing decisions are based on weather alerts, road and school closings, and the ability of YMCA staff to get to and from the Y and operate the facility safely. In case of closing or early closing, the YMCA will post this information on the home page of our website and Facebook page with the up to date closing status. We do not necessarily follow the Grand Haven School District closings. On the rare occasion that the Y closes due to the weather, we are unable to offer a refund, credit, or make-up classes. When weather is questionable, it’s best to call ahead. Please click HERE to view our complete Inclement Weather Policy.
Facility Power Outage Policy
It is the YMCA’s policy to suspend facility activities if power is out for a period of 15 minutes or more without sign of restoration. Staff will remain onsite up until one hour has passed since the initial outage (unless the building is scheduled to close during that period of time). They will reopen the facility if power returns within the hour.
- During any outage, we request that all members comply with staff requests to stop their workout and relocate to lobby or other area. This is done for member safety and to ensure that all people in the building are accounted for in case there is a need to close the facility.
- We will do our best to communicate when specific amenities are unavailable but we cannot guarantee a comprehensive list due to potential complications with Internet connections.
You can track our current status both on our website and on our Facebook page. This page will be updated whenever new information becomes available, through our scheduled closing time each day.